Wednesday 20 August 2008

Day 23 - Priekule to Bernati

55km (734km) - 14 hours - weather wet, later fine

I have walked across Latvia from east to west. Apart from 16km to Liepaja, tomorrow morning, the walk is complete. I am very tired tonight and am finding it difficult to formulate any meaningful reaction.
Today was a very long day and over the last 4 days I have completed 175kms and travelled over more than one third of Latvia's breadth.
I had hoped to start early, but needed supplies. I arrived at the shop next to the market at 7:45. I waited till 8 when it opened.











I then walked through the town, noting the church, the castle, the gate and the manor.
It started to drizzle but I didn't put my jacket on till I was already quite wet.
I walked the 23km to Barta. I was wet through - my top from condensation from my jacket and my shorts, boots and socks because they were uncovered. I decided I needed a change of clothes. I was looking for a bus shelter when I spied an open ended barn. I carefully changed my clothes and ate some lunch. It was 12:45pm.
The next stretch was to Nica - about 20km which took till about 5pm. It only stopped raining about half an hour before. At Nica, I had an early dinner. Anita, Lija, Gunta, Ziedonis and Selga arrived and I set off for the final 12km to Bernati.






By the time I reached the Baltic Sea, the others were already on the beach waiting for me. We walked alongside the water's edge for about 4km to ensure we reached the most western point.
The weather had improved dramatically, and it was still and not cold. We met a journalist (Kristine) and photographer (Egons) from the Kurzeme Vards.


They completed the interview on the beach whilst be waited for the sunset. There was a big red ball but little else to give me much confidence about tomorrow.
After the interview, we visited the equivalent marker to the one we saw near the start of the walk. And then to our accommodation where, at 9:30pm, we were served a second dinner. I happily tucked into the food.
Tomorrow, Anita, Lija and Selga will walk with me to Liepaja. We will probably walk along the beach.
I have fallen asleep a few times whilst writing this. I will leave any further thoughts till tomorrow night.

4 comments:

Andis said...

Dear Graham! Apsveicam!!! What an achievment - and for a grandfather at that! Thanks for blogging the experience.We are fearing withdrawal symptoms - it has become part of our morning ritual to check your progress. We learned a lot of interesting things about Latvia along the way!
Have a good rest. See you back in Oz. Andis and Rudite

Anonymous said...

Congratulations... Great achievment... Very happy for You and happy that I was able to be a part of this... Janis

Anonymous said...

Malacis Graham!
Apsveicu!
PÄ“teris

Anonymous said...

Yay ! Huge congratulations Graham, to you and to your loving support team. How to get to Liepaja from the Mezaparks dining table . . . . .the interesting way.
You, our friend, are an inspiration !
Cuci saldi !
Viktorija un Andrejs xx